Originally called the Bowling Green House, Flora’s Temple was built between 1693 and 1695. Knyff and Kip’s engraving shows it standing in its original position, beside the Bowling Green to the south-west of the House. It was moved to its present position north-east of the House in 1750. The sculptor Jan Nost is responsible for the statue of Flora. It originally stood in the centre of ‘Flora’s Garden’, which occupied the area between the south parterre and the boundary road (where Canal Pond is now sited).
Kip & Kynff, Chatsworth, 1699.