Ring Pond

The Ring Pond is a survivor from the 17th century gardens. It originally lay in the middle of a formal plantation of trees, with the Willow Tree Fountain at its centre: it can be seen to the right of Kip and Knyff’s aerial view. The herms (stone busts on columns) were designed by William Kent in the 18th century and were only placed here in 1893. They originally stood in the gardens at Chiswick House in west London.