South Lawn & Seahorse Fountain
The 1st Duke was one of the first Englishmen to fall for the extravagant creation of formal gardens which were already fashionable in France, Italy and Holland in the late 17th century. The south parterre began construction in 1694 under the guidance of George London and Henry Wise, who also worked at Hampton Court Palace. The parterre was a pattern of intricate flower beds, hedges and gravel paths.
The Seahorse Fountain, which still stands in the centre of the South Lawn, was carved by Caius Gabriel Cibber in the years 1688 to 1691. This fountain is fed by water flowing from in a pipe from the base of the Cascade. The pressure resulting from the 50 foot drop provides the force for the display here. The fountain has recently undergone repair and restoration and was returned to Chatsworth in the summer of 2015.
The eight Carrara marble statues and two urns between the pleached limes were made by Francesco Bienaime for the 6th Duke in the 19th century.