Built c.1834, this is the sole survivor of three glasshouses constructed specifically for orchids by Joseph Paxton. It contained the 6th Duke’s superb collection, gathered from all over the world. Several orchids were named after Chatsworth, Paxton or the Duke e.g. Coelogyne cristata ‘Chatsworth’, Dendrobium paxtonii, and Stanhopea devoniensis.
It now houses white peaches, Camellias, and our Royal Horticultural Society prize winning dessert grapes Vitis ‘Muscat of Alexandria’, which were mostly planted in the 1920s.