The Cavendish Hotel, Baslow
Tel: 01246 582311
A mere 20 minutes walk across the field and into the Estate; Chatsworth can be easily accessed from the Cavendish Hotel, making it an ideal base from which the House and the surrounding Peak District National Park can be explored.
There has been an Inn here for so long it is uncertain when it was built. Originally the famous Peacock Inn, it was the property of the Duke of Rutland and served the turnpike between industrial Chesterfield and the spa town of Buxton. It became the Duke of Devonshire's property around 1830 and in the early 1970's was rebuilt as the Cavendish by Chatsworth Estate when the original character was preserved; the Duchess of Devonshire selected the décor and furnishings, some of which came from Chatsworth House itself.
The Cavendish has operated since 1975 under the proprietorship of Eric Marsh and continues to do so under management contract since October 2008. A closely-knit team is dedicated to looking after guests as individuals, not simply room numbers. The hotel exudes a quiet elegance with an extensive collection of original artwork and antiques adding to that elusive dimension - tranquillity. Add to that, of course, that view from the window of every bedroom - no traffic, only fields and you will begin to understand the allure of the Cavendish.