This stitched leather fire bucket is painted with a ducal coronet above the initial 'D' and the date 1696. The date indicates that the bucket was originally made for the 1st Duke of Devonshire (1640–1707).
The 1811 inventory of Chatsworth refers to "twenty leather fire buckets" in the Grotto; today, only two survive.
Fire was a constant threat to buildings at a time when candles were the only source of artificial lighting. It was commonplace to have large sets of fire-fighting equipment made to deal with such a disaster if it occurred.