The designs used to create this series of tapestries were inspired by the paintings of the Flemish artist David Teniers II (1610–1690). The extensive series depicts everyday scenes of country life, and the four in the collection at Chatsworth show scenes entitled 'Archery', 'The Harvest', 'Kermesse / Merrymaking', and 'Game of Bowls'.
Popular commissions from the late 17th century to the mid-18th century, they were woven by many Brussels weavers, and also in Lille, Oudenaarde, Beauvais and Madrid. As a result it is difficult to identify which workshop or town produced individual tapestries.
It is thought that these tapestries were originally acquired by William Cavendish, 4th Earl and 1st Duke of Devonshire. The set was moved to Hardwick Hall during the 19th century, probably at the request of the 6th Duke of Devonshire, and were returned to Chatsworth in the 1950s when Hardwick passed to the National Trust.