- 2x 750g salmon fillets – trimmed and pin-boned
- 4 raw beetroot
- 250g sea salt
- 500g caster sugar
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 50g fresh parsley – chopped
- 40ml clear honey
- Apart from the salmon, blitz all the ingredients together in a blender until they form a smooth paste.
- Place a salmon fillet on a large piece of cling film, skin-side down and spread with the beetroot mixture.
- Place the remaining fillet, skin side up, on top.
- Wrap the salmon up into a parcel using cling film.
- Place the parcel on a tray and weigh down with a chopping board.
- Refrigerate for 48 hours, turning the parcel over every 12 hours.
- When ready to serve, wash off the marinade and pat the fillets dry.
- Slice as you would for smoked salmon and serve with creamed horseradish and a beetroot and bitter leaf salad.