For the cake
- 350g self-raising flour
- 100g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 170ml rapeseed oil
- 370g golden caster sugar
- 350g courgettes – grated
- 140g hazelnuts – toasted and chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs – beaten
- Pinch of salt
For the topping
- 400g dark chocolate – chopped
- 200ml double cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c/350°f/gas mark 4.
- Line a 23cm loose bottom cake tin with baking parchment.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, spices, hazelnuts and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla and courgettes.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto a rack and leave to cool.
- To make the topping place the chocolate in a bowl and in a pan bring the cream to the boil.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir until smooth and melted.
- Leave to cool slightly and thicken, then spread it over the cake so that the top is covered and the topping starts to ease down the sides.