- 75g unsalted butter – at room temperature
- 75g soft brown sugar
- 75g self-raising flour
- 3 large eggs – at room temperature and beaten
- 90g glace cherries – halved
- 25ml brandy or orange juice, depending on taste
- 35g sultanas
- 50g dried figs – chopped
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c/350°f/gas mark 4.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs a little at a time.
- Fold in the zest and flour, followed by the remaining ingredients.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 15 minutes, until golden and risen.
- Remove the cakes from the tins and cool on a wire rack.
- If you wish, sprinkle the muffins with cinnamon and sugar before backing or decorate the muffins with white water icing and edible silver and gold balls.