- 1.5kg brisket of beef
- 40g fresh ginger – peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground mace
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 500ml dry cider
- 30ml white wine vinegar
- 40g cornflour
- Salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 140°c/275°f/gas mark 1.
- Apart from the beef and cornflour, thoroughly whisk all the ingredients together.
- Place the beef in an ovenproof or casserole dish that has a lid.
- Pour the spiced liquid over the beef, cover with the lid and cook for 4-5 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the beef from the cooking liquid and set aside to rest.
- Transfer the liquid to a pan and thicken to the desired consistency with the corn flour which has been slackened with a little water.
- Adjust the seasoning and slice the beef to serve.