- 450g frozen shortcrust pastry
- 225g strong cheese cut into bite-size pieces (Cornish Yarg is ideal)
- 550g early new potatoes – washed and lightly scrubbed
- 1 bunch of spring onions - chopped
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 beaten egg
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Drop the potatoes into boiling water and cook for five minutes. Drain and cut into bite-size pieces. Leave to cool.
- Place the potatoes into a large bowl with the cheese, onions, thyme and cream.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Roll out the pastry and cut into six circles (a side plate or saucer is a good size).
- Dampen the edges of the circles with beaten egg.
- Place a small mound of the potato and cheese mixture on the centre of each circle.
- Gather up the edges of the pastry to make a traditional pasty and crimp the edges.
- Brush the pasties with the beaten egg and bake for 30 minutes until golden.