- 1 blind baked pastry case (23cm)
- 800g raspberries
- 75g unsalted butter
- 50g cornflour
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs – separated
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5.
- Blitz the raspberries in a blender and pass through a fine sieve, discarding the seeds.
- In a small bowl mix the cornflour, 75g of the caster sugar and the lemon juice together. Add this mixture to the raspberry puree.
- In a pan slowly bring the puree to a simmer, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Allow the raspberry mixture to cool slightly and beat in the egg yolks and butter.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Spoon the mixture into the pastry case, spreading it evenly.
- In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff and then gradually whisk in the remaining caster sugar until you have a glossy thick meringue mixture.
- Heap the meringue over the raspberry mixture and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.