The initials in this silver badge are for Elizabeth, Countess of Shrewsbury, better known as Bess of Hardwick.
George Talbot, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury (1528–1590) was Bess' fourth and last husband. The same letters, carved in stone and separate, can also be seen in the balustrade of her new house at Hardwick Hall.
This badge is likely to have been worn as part of the livery of one of her servants.
Return to the Devonshire Collection