The original cascade preceded the Cascade which exists today and was a shorter and, in some ways, more complicated affair. It is shown on Kip and Knyff’s illustration, but was remodelled and extended a few years later. The Cascade House was built at its summit, to designs by Thomas Archer.
The remodelling was largely completed by 1708, and work on the supply pond, the Cascade Pond, which lies a little higher up the hill, continued until 1712. The new Cascade was nearly twice the length, and substantially wider, than the original.
The carvings in the Cascade House were carried out by Samuel Watson and Henri Nadauld. The building continued the established tradition of using water in amusing ways, to surprise and delight visitors, one of whom in 1725 reported how jets within the building ‘throw up several stream and wett people’ (the spouts in the floor are still there).